Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Homemade Granola



Granola has always been one of my favorite breakfast foods.  I've never been a huge fan of boxed cereal, as it gets soggy too fast and I normally can't eat the same cereal more than 3 days in a row.  My mom started making this granola when I was in college and I loved it.  It's wonderful with milk, yogurt, or just plain to munch on.  One of the great things about granola is that you can pretty much add whatever you want to it to suit your tastes. Craisins, nuts, sunflower seeds, raisins...the options are many!




Recipe:
Printable Version

5 cups oats
1/2 cup wheat or white flour
1/2 cup wheat germ (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut (optional)
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Stir dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.  In a small saucepan, heat remaining ingredients until sugar is melted.  Pour liquid over dry ingredients in the bowl and stir to combine.  Bake at 250F for 1-2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.


2 comments:

  1. Yum I love granola! We haven't had it in a while - I'll have to make some after all of my kitchen things come out of the boxes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like granola...I need to eat more of it!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!