Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Day 19: Chicken & Rice Soup, with Cheesy Bread

This series '31 Days of Fall from the Kitchen' has been really fun for me to do, as it keeps me on my toes in the kitchen, trying to come up with great fall recipes for you.  However, it's been a challenge lately, because our weather has gotten back up into the 90's!  It doesn't really feel like fall here, so I don't always feel in the mood to make soup.  Yesterday, however, was rainy, hot and humid, so it was a perfect day for this soup.

My friend gave me her recipe the other night, and I knew I was going to love it!  I threw together some homemade texas toast with cheese and it was a perfect meal.




Chicken and Rice Soup
Printable Version

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
water
1 1/2 cups brown or white rice
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
3 chicken bouillon cubes
salt and pepper
cayenne pepper (optional)

Place chicken breasts in a large pot and cover with water.  Bring to a boil and boil until chicken is cooked through.  Remove chicken from broth and shred or chop chicken breasts.  Add bouillon cubes, onion, celery, carrots and chopped chicken back into pot with broth.  Boil until celery and onion are soft.  Add rice and cook until tender.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Add a pinch (or a few pinches) of cayenne pepper for a little kick, if you'd like.


*I also added more water before putting in the rice, as some of the water had evaporated by this point (rice soaks up water).  Then, after the rice was cooked, I added a bit more water to thin it out a bit.  Add more water if you want, for a more soup-like soup, or keep it thick if you want*


source: my friend Kathy




Cheesy Bread

Leftover French or Italian bread
butter
shredded cheese

Slice bread into 1-inch thick slices.  Place on a wire rack inside of a baking sheet.  Butter top side of each slice.


Sprinkle cheese on top of each slice.


 Place under the broiler until cheese has melted and is a bit bubbly.




Serve while warm.

4 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! The same thing about the weather here - it's been pretty warm, but yesterday and today it's rainy so that feels more like fall. Last night I forgot to cook the chicken so when it came time to make dinner that was a fail. Instead we had your tomato soup and grilled cheese with bacon and roasted red peppers - it was SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM YUM YUM, makes me want to come eat at your house! I need to get creative in my kitchen!

    Anna
    http://www.anewfoundtreasure.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. we're barely in the 50's today and I'm SO ready to make a BIG pot of soup!! This looks yummy!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I am so happy you stopped by my blog, so I could find yours! I'm a new follower. Everything looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!