Monday, October 24, 2011

Day 24: Gingersnaps

My husband just started a new work schedule yesterday, which includes working 10 hour days, and his week begins on Sunday.  It's going to be an adjustment for our family, but we're trying to make the most of it and I'm particularly thankful that he isn't working nights.  In order to make him a bit happier when he came home, I decided to make some of his favorite cookies yesterday: gingersnaps.  Now, I have to be honest with you that I do not like these cookies, never have, probably never will.  But, they are a classic and perfect for the fall.


These would be great tied up with a little twine and ribbon as a gift to your neighbor.  I also like to use leftover gingersnaps to make a crumb for pumpkin cheesecake.  That was my original plan with these, but the hubby took the batch to work, so I don't know if there will be any left; perhaps I'll make another batch and then share with you my pumpkin cheesecake recipe.  Anyone interested in that??

Gingersnaps
Printable Version

3/4 cup vegetable shortening (I used part butter crisco and part shortening)
1 cup sugar, plus more to roll the cookies in
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350F and grease some cookie sheets.  Beat together the shortening and 1 cup sugar.


 Add the egg, and beat until light and fluffy, then add the molasses.  Pour in flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, and cinnamon, and beat until smooth and blended.



Gather up some dough and roll between your palms to make a 1-inch ball,


then roll each ball in sugar.



Place about 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes, until the cookies have spread and the tops have cracked.



 Remove from the sheets and cool on a rack.

source:  Fannie Farmer Cookbook

7 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren! I've enjoyed your blog and cannot wait to try this recipe. Matthew (Jr.) LOVES gingersnaps! Hope you guys are doing well.
    Love,
    Mandy Cropsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look good! And yes - do the cheesecake recipe please. It is on my list to make a pumpkin cheesecake before the season's over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really like gingersnaps either but these just look so good! I hope they did make him happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love gingersnaps.. they are great by themselves, crumbled for a topping or topping a spiked cider cocktail!

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I might have to stay away from your blog for a while because it's not helping my weight loss program. Some of my partners in the group are challenging us not to eat after 7:30 pm and here I am looking at all your pictures of these delicious things at 9:42. Pumpkin cheesecake is coming??? Oh, man, you're hurtin' me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can hardly wait to make these. I will probably make two recipes so I have enough for that Pumpkin Cheesecake recipe that you will be posting very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just pinned these on Pinterest!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!