Thursday, October 6, 2011

Day 6: Applesauce


31 Days of Fall from the Kitchen would not be complete without a recipe for applesauce.  Applesauce has always been one of my favorite sides, ever since I was a kid.  There were certain meals my mom made that I knew applesauce would be served.  I tend to follow suit for my own family.  Last year I attempted making applesauce for the first time and I was surprised at how extremely simple it was!  The only trouble is that now that I've made it from scratch, the family really only wants to eat it that way.

Whenever I make applesauce, I make just enough to eat for about a week and leave it in the fridge.  I've yet to can applesauce, but there are a few jars remaining in my pantry from this summer, so I just may have to can it this year after all.  Only, I need to find a good apple orchard to visit...

My recipe today comes from a friend that I knew when I was in college; we attended the same church.  Then, when I met Bradley (my now husband), I found out that he had grown up with her husband and they were still great friends!  Small world, huh?  So, anyway, last week my friend posted on Facebook that she was making applesauce, so naturally I asked for her recipe.  And, that's what I've made for today.

 I dare you to make applesauce this year.  Your kitchen will smell amazing, your stomach will be happy and those you cook for will love you even more.

Jenny's Applesauce
Printable Version

Peel, core, and slice apples into quarters (or if you're fortunate to have an apple corer/slicer, just use that!).


Put apples into a large pot and cover halfway with water.

I used a bit too much water here so drained a little bit off.
Heat to boiling over high heat.  Reduce heat to medium and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until apples are mushy.  Using a potato masher, mash apples (with juice) to desired consistency.


Add sugar and cinnamon to taste; stir to combine.  Serve either warm or chilled.



The following are a few recipes I gathered for you in hopes that you'll be inspired to make some of your own!

If you want to get really wild and crazy, try these applesauce varieties.  This would make great baby food!

source

For the gourmet types, try this Vanilla Applesauce; the recipe calls for an entire vanilla bean--delicious!
This recipe makes a small batch, but could easily be adjusted for more.

source
Check out this link below for not only a great applesauce recipe, but also apple pie filling and apple butter.

source
Are you ready to make some applesauce?

5 comments:

  1. yum! I've never made applesauce before but I'd like to try. Uncle Bill just gave us some of his that he made and it's so good! I'd also like to try that vanilla bean applesauce! Sounds like dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made some applesauce last weekend (here's my blog on it http://lesliekidd.blogspot.com/2011/10/fall-things.html). Today we just finished it off. I like it cinamonny, Felix doesn't. We're going to an apple farm soon, so then I'll try to try your applesauce recipe. Maybe he'll like it better. I really want to try one of the fruit blends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! love homemade applesauce! I make ours in the crock pot with a bit of cinnamon and lemon. Thats it. Then can away. YUMMO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love applesauce memories!! my grandma was the one in our family that made applesauce, and to this day when i end up with a few jars of her applesauce i treat them like gold and totally ration them! her secret ingredient is a bit of butter stirred in at the end.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!