Saturday, October 8, 2011

Day 8: Tortilla Bean Soup

Did anyone else receive lots of great recipes at a bridal shower?  I received a TON, and I love looking through them and trying them each out.  We've been married for five years and I still haven't gotten through them all, but maybe that could be a cooking goal for the near future....we'll see.



This recipe stood out as one that would definitely fit into my 31 Days of Fall from the Kitchen series, simply because it's a soup and it's hearty.  I love the way it tastes but it's also great because it is super easy!  You could easily just throw everything in a pot and be done.  Plus, it makes 12 servings and freezes well.  Can't get any better than that!



Tortilla Bean Soup
Printable Version

6 cups chicken broth
4 chicken breasts, cubed
1 large onion, chopped
1 green or red bell pepper, chopped (optional)
2 cans kidney beans, 16 oz each
2 cans black beans, 16 oz each
2 cans Rotel tomatoes
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 package taco seasoning
1 bag frozen corn kernels, 16 oz
additional salt and pepper as needed

Cook the chicken, onion and pepper in the chicken broth until chicken is done.  Without draining any of the canned beans or tomatoes, just add the remaining ingredients to the pot.  Continue simmering until heated through.

To serve, garnish with broken tortilla chips, shredded cheese, avocado, and sour cream. (Do not freeze with garnishes).

*The original recipe called for a can each of pinto beans and black eyed peas.  I don't think I like either of those, so I just doubled up on the kidney and black beans.  Basically, you need four 16-ounce cans of beans, so you can mix and match as you like.*

2 comments:

  1. That looks awesome! Now did your husband like that? It is a close cousin to chili. But come on it looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! I've been looking for a good tortilla chicken soup - I think we will try this one!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!