Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Tie-Up Window Shade

Today I have another little piece of the girls' bedroom to show you.  You can read about the paint color and pillows, if you missed those.  And, for anyone who might be a first time reader, this room is a work in progress, so I've yet to have an entire room reveal!  Hopefully, more will be done in the next few weeks, but we'll see...

My girls' bedroom is great, but the layout has always sort of bewildered me.  There is one window, with space on each side for a twin bed, and we had it set up this way for about a year.  That arrangement always proved to be a temptation to my daughters.  The nightstand was between the beds, in front of the window, and they were constantly climbing onto the table to look out, simultaneously breaking the lamp on the nightstand.  So, I rearranged the room a bit and it's much more conducive to looking out the window.  However, I still had a dilemma of what kind of window treatment to put in their room.  Drapery panels are my absolute favorite, but I didn't want to spend a ton of money on fabric, and the window area was somewhat small for drapes.  After looking through all of my patterns, I re-discovered a book my sister-in-law had given me all about window treatments!  In it, I found the perfect solution to the girls' window!



I basically used the same method as the window treatment in my master bathroom {you can find out about that here}.  However, instead of simply tacking up two sides to create a pleat, I sewed a button on the back of the shade, made a tab to pull up the fabric, and placed a bow on the front.



You can easily undo the tabs to roll down the shade for more window coverage, which is especially great in a kids' room!  I like the simplicity of this shade and the fact that it didn't take me too much time to complete.


I intentionally did not include much in these photos, because there is still a lot of work to do, and I don't want you to see how messy their room was when I was taking these pictures.  But, I do like to keep things honest, so here is a picture of a bare wall that will be receiving some 'love' in the coming days....


2 comments:

  1. I love how this looks! And I like how you used the button in the back! Those bows are perfect for a girls' room! I can't believe how much you're still doing these days - you are superwoman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww love the pattern! You are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!