Thursday, June 14, 2012

Summer Wreath

Now that we're in the middle of June, I decided it was time to take my spring wreath off of the dining room table, where it has been in the construction phase since April, and finish it for my front door.


This was the least expensive wreath I've ever made!  Want to know why?  I used plumbing piping from Home Depot to make the form.  It costs $0.97.  Everything else I already had, so for $1 I have a wreath that I love!

I don't remember what this stuff is really called, but you can find it in the plumbing aisle of the store. There is a slit in it {see picture below}, but that doesn't affect its ability to perform as a wreath.
I am NOT going to take credit for the idea to use this stuff.  I first read about it on East Coast Creative's blog.  I've also seen pool noodles used in the same way.


When I shaped the tube into a circle it was a tad too large, so I just snipped it and cut out the excess tubing.


Using a little packaging tape, I taped the ends together to make my circle.


Then, I wrapped the entire thing with strips of burlap {my never-ending supply}.  No glue required, just kept wrapping it around tightly so that it stayed in place.


Be sure to work with burlap in a place where you can clean it up, because it sure does shed and leave a mess!


I made two different kinds of fabric flowers, attached brooch pins to the back and placed them on the wreath.


 Each of these fabrics are either tablecloths or napkins that I have used in pillows and other decor in my home.  Never forget to look at non-traditional ways of purchasing fabric!  I wanted to tie my front door in with the interior of my home, creating a cohesion throughout.

 
 I hung it with a rustic looking piece of the yellow fabric, simply just tied in knots, nothing fancy!


And, here is the photo of the missing element from this post.  I didn't go with the 'W' as several of you thought, but perhaps some other time.


4 comments:

  1. I love the flowers you made! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recognize one of the flowers from the tablecloth that I have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This might be my favorite wreath that you've made! I love the different fabric flowers - they're pretty and I like how they tie in with your decor/colors inside. And a wreath for a buck you can't beat that! Maybe I'll have Caleb pick up some plumbing thing at Lowe's next time so I can try my own wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the wreath! When do you find the time to do so many creative projects?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!