Friday, December 7, 2012

Miniature Veggie Quiche Recipe

Last night I hosted a neighborhood get together for the ladies who live right around our home.  We had a great time visiting and it was the first time most of us had ever met, so we had  a lot to talk about!

I made some appetizers and two different types of truffles {recipes coming soon!}.  I have always loved quiche, and the miniature ones served at various parties are always my favorite.  Well, I found a great recipe for making your own!  They are a lot less expensive than the frozen ones you buy in the store, equally as delicious, and you can change the ingredients to fit your flavors. {Just fill with your favorite quiche fillings -- ham, bacon, sausage, just cheese--the possibilities are endless}.




Disclaimer:  I never purchase store bought pie crust.  They don't taste good to me, and somehow I always ruin them.  However, when preparing for a party in the middle of the week, with three small children under foot, store bought was the best way to go.  So, I apologize in advance that these are not completely 'from scratch'.  Definitely feel free to make your own crust, although for a quiche, it would be best to use a tart crust dough.  And, the crust doesn't stand out in a quiche like in a pie, so the flavors of the quiche definitely masked the flavor of the store bought crust.

Miniature Veggie Quiche

1 (15-oz) box refrigerated pie crusts {or 2 homemade tart dough recipes}
2 tablespoons butter
6 oz. finely chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
2 teaspoons minced garlic
6 large eggs
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1 teaspoon dry mustard
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 cup Italian blend shredded cheese {you can also use Swiss, Parmesan, or cheddar}

Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease 2 24-cup mini muffin pans.  Unroll pie crusts onto a lightly floured surface.  Using a 2 1/2-inch cutter {such as a ravioli cutter} cut out circles of dough, rolling out scraps until dough has been used up.  You should be able to get 40 quiches.  Place in the muffin tins and press down to form to the pan.



Heat butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Add mushrooms, onions, pepper, and garlic.  Saute' for a few minutes, until tender.  Place a small amount of veggie mixture in the bottom of each crust.  Sprinkle a little bit of the cheese over the veggies.


In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, half-and-half, mustard, salt and pepper.  Carefully pour into prepared crusts, making sure not to spill over the edges.  {There will most likely be some of the egg mixture leftover.  This is okay.  Save it and make an omelet later}.

Bake for 25 minutes.  Cool slightly in pan before removing.  Serve warm.



source: slightly adapted from Southern Lady Magazine

Linking to:


 

3 comments:

  1. "Only From Scratch" has been included in the Sites To See for this week. I hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2012/12/sites-to-see.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed all your delicious pins recently and wondered which ones you would feature=) They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these look yummy! Those mini quiches are so addicting - I love when they are on the table at parties. I always make a full-size quiche and never thought about just trying to make my own mini ones. That would be tasty for lunches at work!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!