Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Tasting the Sweetness of Jesus

"In our prosperity we love earthly blessings and dote upon things in this world as if our happiness and comfort were bound up in them.  In the day of adversity God convinces us of our mistake, and causes us to see the emptiness of this material world."

The beginning of an excerpt from Voices From the Past, for July 20.  After my post last week where I shared what God taught me through not having my stuff, I read this over the weekend, and had to share it.

I picked this book up again recently to add to my daily devotional reading.  Highly recommend it.  The Puritan writings are full of theology and convey it in such a way that it makes sense for practical daily life.  I'm pushed closer to Jesus and my perspective is pointed toward heaven when I read.



The whole entry is excellent, but I'll just finish with his concluding statements.  I pray that it is an encouragement to you today.

"Ah, but there is infinite fullness in Jesus Christ.  He is suited to all the needs of poor undone sinners.  No king was anointed with such power; no prophet with such wisdom; no priest with such grace, for God gave him the Spirit without measure (John 3:34), and of his fullness we receive grace for grace.  If we fill ourselves with the world, the less we will delight in Christ.  This is our sin and our folly.  But when God spreads sackcloth on the earthly, we discover the beauty of Christ and can taste his sweetness.  He infinitely transcends all the beauty and glory of the world.  He is our King to govern; our Prophet to teach; our Priest to save.  How precious!  Give me Christ, or else I die!"



-Thomas Case, Voices From the Past-

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!