Thursday, October 27, 2011

Day 27: Martha Stewart's Apple Crumb Pie

Apple pie is one of the most classic American desserts.  You'll find it listed on most dessert menus, in some form or fashion, and it usually finds its way into peoples' homes during the holiday season.  My husband is not a big fruit dessert fan, so I knew that making an apple pie for just our family was not a good idea (I would end up eating most of it, which is not necessary!).  When I found out  my parents would be visiting this month I decided to wait for them to come because apple pie is one of my dad's favorites!



If you're like me the inside of the pie really could be discarded.  Just give me crust and crumbs!  Seriously, after we ate this last night, my mom and I decided that next time we would just leave out the apples and layer crust and crumbs.  Apples are great too, but there's nothing like a buttery crust and crumb topping--this recipe is packed with these!  If you like apple pie, you're going to love this version!



  • Apple Crumb Pie
  • Printable Version

  • for crumb topping
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix together with your fingers until it becomes clumpy.  Freeze.


  • for pie crust
  • I used this recipe, but you can use your favorite pie crust recipe (just please don't use a pre-made one for this.  If you've never made a pie crust before, go ahead and try it out on this one.  Then, you'll be ready to make pies for the holidays and everyone will rave about your homemade crust!)

  • Place your pie crust dough on a floured surface.  Roll out to a 14-inch circle.  





  • Place it into a deep dish 9-inch pie plate, pressing it gently against the bottom and up the sides of the dish.  Leave the overhang in place and refrigerate while you prepare the apples. 


for the apples
  • 9 Granny Smith apples
  • 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Peel, core and slice apples 1/8-inch thick.  Dump them into a bowl with the lemon/lime juice as you slice, so that they don't brown.  



Add sugar, flour and cinnamon to apples, and combine.  



Place the apple mixture into the chilled crust, packing the apples down. 


Carefully pull the crust over the top of the apples and pleat along the edges as you bring it up.  





Put the pie dish on top of a cookie sheet (to catch the juices as it bakes) and bake at 375F for 45 minutes.  Remove pie and place crumb topping on top.  Bake for an additional 30-45 minutes, until crumb topping is golden and apples are bubbly.  Cool for several hours before serving.  Serve with vanilla ice cream. 



6 comments:

  1. Looks great!! I might have to try this one. My husband doesn't care for pies with 2 crusts, but maybe he would go for this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! I've never made an apple pie...but I think I can do it. And you are so right about the buttery crust...I could so just eat that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing this was on the breakfast menu for today also?? :) I'm not a huge apple pie person, but I could get into this one with the crumbs on top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!
    Gonna try this one!

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy, thanks for the recipe. What temp did you bake it on?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made this. It is in the oven at 400 degrees. This recipe doesn't say what temp so I used my judgment. I am also a little squeamish about the long two part baking time. I have my fingers crossed and my eye on the oven!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!